Thursday, August 8, 2013

Rendering Fat part I

So, I went to our neighborhood local Butcher/organic grocers,  and I asked them for a couple pounds of lard.  Pork lard to be exact.   The lady behind the Butcher counter looked at me sorta funny and said, "We don't carry lard. " 

Much to my surprise,  I take a deep breath, and ask for "pork lard."  She shakes her head again, and I ask for "Pork Fat." Not knowing the rendering process but at least I knew that if you render fat you get lard.

I go to the freezer section where their pork fat was frozen.  I weigh the 12 oz of lard I need and try to guess the amount of pork fat I need.   I know I probably didn't buy enough but I started with 1 lb. 3oz.  

I brought it home and put it in a bowl still wrapped to allow it to defrost. 

Later this eve, I unwrapped it.   I hoped to grind it into small pieces as recommended via a blog I read that says have the Butcher grind it.   So that totally failed.   My 35+ yr old quasenart finally said "no way I am not going to spin a blade anymore."  So I end up cutting up the pork fat via sissors into the crock pot with a cup of water in it.

From there the crock pot with the lid on is set onto low. About 45 min to 1 hr into the simmering process I crackled the lid so it allows the water to evaporate.

Now there are blogs out there. For how to get the most beautiful white lard... Go for it.   I am making lard for home made soap.   Yes it may smell slightly of pork,  but not strongly.   I also don't need it pure white and light brown will do.   Good Old Fashion Lard -my grandmother used to make.   I am excited for the process.   I bet most all of you haven't taken the extra time it takes.... you haven't rendered lard.  I will let you know how it finishes up tomorrow morning.

No comments: